Friday, October 13, 2006
aight, I finally found the time to talk about the DoCoMo 903i series announced yesterday
903i= highend WCDMA FOMA handsets for japan only, cannot be unlocked. 903iX= HSDPA 903iTV= one-seg digital broadcasting handsets. the TV wont work once they're out of japan and once the USIM is removed
so what's new on the 903i series? larger content sizes: games, i-motion (video ringtones), music (now with napster), emoji, mail attachment better security: face recognition, remote lock, anshin-key (more to that: read P903i) standard GPS function (to compete with AU KDDI) updated Felica electronic money version, now supports reading and writing. you can also transfer data using the IC antenna. isn't that cool?
here're the highlights 1. nec n903i has a VGA+ display (2.5" 480x690). this is my personal favorite. 3MP camera with 3 axis anti-shake for both stills and videos.
link face design, so it's a perfect arc side ways
the silver/black version will have its external TFT screen hidden under reflection, unless it's on. looking great
just to show you the VGA+ screen with the full html browser
2. sharp and mitsubishi use 2.8" QVGA wide (240x300) displays on their sh903i and d903i
typical Sharp looking device. swivel screen that can flip over. shreaded external screen. but you get 3 LED lights outside.
D903i is just a thinner version of D902i, nothing special. scroll wheel kept.
3. fujitsu invented a whole new swing-screen on the F903i and F903iX (iX--> HSDPA)
built in FM transmitter, works similar to the iTrip for your ipod
fingerprint recognition, of course. a must for fujitsu
4. Sony, 3" 16:9 screen with Bravia's RealityMAX engine. external screen is a generous 1.5" with 9 music buttons. 3MP camera AF. mini SD and MS duo pro dualslot. supports up to 2Gb/4Gb.
the keys are backlighted outside, too. i-channel can also be displayed on the exteernal screen.
this is my second favorite out of the 903i series
5. panasonic's P903i and P903iTV, nothing special, just minor updates from the 902i and 901iTV. new anshin-key which locks the phone automatically once it is out of your reach (1,5m?), does this by a separate small transmitter that you carry with you.
plays music for 70hrs, BT A2DP. exchangeable facets, and the light illusion blah blah blah hikari-wa-panasonic-des!
now with this thing, the Anshin-key, which locks the device when it is not within its transmitting range
the screen reads that it's locked
here's the P903iTV
supposedly you can type message and watch TV at the same time
panasonic presented the 3rd handset, the P903iX
no external screen, no exchangeable facets, no anshin key, no 3G worldwing roaming; but it supports HSDPA (and WMV for videos)
6. sharp's sh903iTV uses similar design with the vodafone/softbank 905SH. 3" screen now. and a better looking overall shape
yes the external screen is kept. thank goodness
7. D903iTV looks like a mutant of D903i
2 more Simpure handsets announced, 1 NEC 1 LG. nothing special, european specifications
and that's LG
at the end of the press conference, the dude also flashed us with 2 unannounced 703i's. thickness below 12mm, as he said
this one looks like a panasonic to me, because of the hinge and the camera switch under the screen. also panasonic has the most experience in making thin phones for docomo: prosolid
this one looks like a Sharp at first glance, because of the finishing and color match, also the square keypad. but as I look at the hinge, antenna and the D-pad, they speak louder for NEC... (doesn't that just remind you of the NEC L1?)
trapped in the maze of time..5:55 AM